Real Madrid will face city rivals Atletico Madrid at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium on the Matchday 7 in LaLiga Santander 2019-20. The Madrid Derby will feature two of the most expensive signings of this summer, both with the No.7 Jersey, Portugal wonderkid Joao Felix and Eden Hazard, who is yet to show his potential in the Los Blancos uniform. Zinedine Zidane’s team hold the top spot in the La Liga table with four wins and two draws while Atletico Madrid are just one point behind Real Madrid in the third position with 13 points.
So, undoubtedly this is going to be a cracker of a contest. Both the teams have splashed the cash in the 2019 summer transfer with Atlético spending more than they ever had in history- €244m, which is just €54m below what Real Madrid spent this summer. So hold your horses because you’re going to witness a high voltage clash, but before that XploreSports will give you the preview, stats, line-up and prediction.
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid Preview-
The first Spanish derby of the season highlights the weekend and both the teams enter the competition with a win in their respective league matches but a blow in the group stage in the Champions League. Below are a few prematch insights from the past.
- Atletico Madrid have managed to win just one out of their last 18 LaLiga home matches played against Real Madrid (D 5, L 12).
- Real Madrid have beaten Atletico Madrid 87 times in LaLiga, more than any other club in LaLiga history.
- Real Madrid are unbeaten in their last six league games against Diego Simeone’s men (W 2 D 4).
- Real Madrid failed to win any of their previous six before this run (D 2, L 4).
- Atletico Madrid have just lost once out of their last 23 LaLiga matches played at Wanda Metropolitano (W 17, D 5) and have kept a clean sheet in 15 of them. Thanks to their star goalkeeper Jan Oblak.
- Real Madrid have kept a clean sheet in their last two LaLiga matches without any shot on target. This is the first time since the 2003-04 season that Real have not allowed any shot on target in two consecutive LaLiga games.
- Diego Costa could bag his 50th goal for Atletico Madrid in the Madrid derby. The striker has netted four goals in his 14 matches against Real Madrid.
- Sergio Ramos has scored six times against Atletico in all competitions, including the one he scored in his last LaLiga derby. Ramos has only scored more goals against Sevilla (7).
- Under Diego Simeone, Atletico Madrid have succeded in nine of their last 29 derbies against Real Madrid in all competitions (D 10, L 10). Atletico Madrid did not win in any of their last 22 matches before Simeone (D 6, L16).
- Zinédine Zidane has faced Diego Simeone eight times in all competitions as Real Madrid’s coach (W2, D4, L2). Zidane won his first out of nine titles as Real Madrid manager against Atletico Madrid in the Champions League in 2016.
- If we look at the sides’ meetings since 2000, Real Madrid have tasted defeat just once in their trips to Atlético, having picked up 12 wins and five draws in this period.
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid- Team Line-Up
Atletico Madrid are going through a transitional period in the club as big names like Griezmann, Rodri and Lucas all left along with Diego Godin, Lucas Hernandez and Juanfran all calling an end to their Atletico career. Real Madrid were slow at the start of the season with most of their players out due to injury. But, the squad looks sorted now.
Predicted XI- Atlético Madrid (4-4-2): Oblak, Lodi, Giménez, Savic, Trippier, Koke, Ñíguez, Partey, Lemar, Costa, Felix
Real Madrid (4-2-3-1): Courtois, Carvajal, Varane, Ramos, Nacho, Casemiro, Kroos, Bale, Rodriguez, Hazard, Benzema
Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid- Players To Watch Out
The 19-year-old has scored two and made one assist so far in La Liga. He has been used in right, left as well as in the centre by Diego Simeone and is all set to show his talent in his first derby match.
The full-back signing from Tottenham Hotspurs has turned out to be an unexpected hero for Atletico. He has pressed very high and very wide and so much of their play passing has come through him. No one in the Atlético team has put as many balls into the box as Trippier.
The Chelsea superstar will look to show his potential in his first derby wearing the Los Blancos jersey. Hazard is known for his exceptional derby performances in the Premier League with Arsenal. He will look to win hearts today at the Wanda Metropolitano Stadium.
From being unwanted by manager Zinedine Zidane before the start of the season to becoming a key attacking player for Real Madrid, Bale has changed his manager’s opinion about him in a span of a few games. In his four games for Madrid this season, Bale has scored twice and made one assist, and could be key for Madrid when he links up with Benzema.